- Summer research is in full swing in our (almost) completely equipped lab. Ke has set up a designated lab room for molecular biology experiments that houses several small pieces of equipment. We now have our solar simulator (for photochemical experiments) and laboratory oven (to heat up to 600 deg. C).
- Dr. Parker presented a poster at the Gordon Research Conference Environmental Sciences: Water.
- A (long-awaited!) review article led by Dr. Kara Nelson (UC Berkeley), and co-authored by Dr. Parker and several colleagues in the US and abroad, has been accepted at ESPI. The study “Sunlight-mediated inactivation of health-relevant microorganisms in water: A review of mechanisms and modeling approaches” presents an extensive analysis of photoinactivation mechanisms and how their importance can be modeled in environmental systems.
- We are collecting data with our own analytical lab! We have two Agilent 1260 HPLCs, one with diode array detection (right) and one with an Agilent 6470 QQQ MS (left).
- Ke passed his qualifying exams. Congrats Ke!
- Ms. Aditi Sharma (IIT Gandhinagar) joins our group as a Summer Research Intern. Welcome Aditi!
- We received a 1-year grant from InCEES. This project is in collaboration with Drs. Dan Giammar (EECE) and Jeff Catalano (EPS).
- Our instruments have arrived and have taken over the lab.
- Lab set up begins! First to arrive: our refrigerator and freezers.
- Dr. Parker presented three talks at ACS New Orleans, including one in the Great Achievements in Environmental Science & Technology session.
- Mr. Ke Zhang joins our group as a PhD student. Welcome Ke!
- Mr. Michael Shen (EECE MS student) and Mr. Carter Rholl (EECE BS student) join our group to complete independent study projects. Welcome Michael and Carter!
- We received a 4-year grant from the USDA. Read the WUSTL Engineering news story here!
We will be recruiting prospective students for the project (among other projects in our group). Please see eece.wustl.edu for information about how to apply to our program, or contact Dr. Parker with a CV and a statement of interest.
- Dr. Parker receives the Paul V. Roberts AEESP Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation award for her work conducted at Stanford University with Dr. Bill Mitch.
Read a news posting.
- Dr. Parker’s article is selected as Environmental Science & Technology’s Best Science Paper of 2016 (link).
Parker KM, Reichwaldt E, Ghadouani A, Mitch WA. Halogen Radicals Promote the Photodegradation of Microcystins in Estuarine Systems. Environmental Science & Technology, 2016, 50 (16), 8505-8513. (Full text)